Monday, February 1, 2010

A Visit to the Albright-Knox Art Gallery

Which artworks make an impact or impression on me? Why?
There were many works that made an impact on me during my visit to the Albright-Knox Art Gallery. Since I took Modern and Contemporary Art classes I have always been drawn towards those movements. For instance, I truly appreciate Abstract Expressionism. My favorite artist from the movement is Mark Rothko. Like many artists at that time, Rothko strays away from conventional form and, instead concentrates more closely on his use of color and how color can evoke emotion. The painting titled “Orange and Yellow,” from 1956 conveys Rothko’s style. Various artists such as Rothko were called Color Field artists. Another Color Field artist was Hans Hoffman. One of Hoffman’s paintings from the Albright-Knox collection is 1955 “Exuberance.” While observing the work, the viewer can instantly feel the excitement and variety the painting presents. “Exuberance” exemplifies the principals from the color wheel and how colors interact with one another by incorporating strong contrasts between colors.

Which artworks do I feel a connection with? Why?
One of the works that I felt connected to was Georgia O’Keefe’s “Green Patio Door, 1955.” After seeing many of O’Keefe’s work, I found it extremely interesting to see that the Albright-Knox has acquired a work that many would argue different or uncharacteristic of the artist’s style. O’Keefe was always interested in landscape painting and created many works while living at her home in New Mexico. The painting is very reminiscent of her landscape paintings, however many people are unfamiliar with them and assume they closely resemble her flower paintings. I was so glad to see the painting and at such an obscure part of the gallery.

Which artworks would I like to know more about? Why?
Some of the works that I found interesting and would like to know more about were from the current exhibition, Topographics. I was very impressed with the context of the exhibition. I enjoyed many of the works especially by the artists Jane Callister, Tara Donovan, Ingrid Calame and Udomsak Krisanamis. I thought the works were different and enlightening. My favorite work from the exhibition was Jane Callister’s “Spiked Beauty,” from 2005. I found her work to be similar to Abstract Expressionists with combinations from the conceptual ideas that Contemporary art focuses on. I would love to study these works further and learn more about the artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment